BLOG // ABOUT // CROCHET // KNITTING // BABY / KIDS

6/29/13

Thoughts on fabric painting


It was far the most exciting project I made in this year. I usually have my crafty time at night when I prefer knit or crochet. Playing with some yarn is relaxing and working on my patterns is also a good training for my brain. I used to try other craft techniques too and although loved some of them, never engaged to any of them.
After my first stenciling project I have some consequences I would like to share. First of all this I started it on the wrong way, because I chosed a wrong fabric with a wrong paint. The fabric and paint are both basically excellent materials, but together didn't bring the result I expected. It is rather a painting than a stencil, but I love it on its naive not-so-perfect way!

About the materials
I used Deca textile paint, which is water based, easy to mix with other colors. But I don't recommend it for stenciling, it is too watery, the lines are blurred. This is a perfect choice if you are working on an artistic silk painting. I love the stencil pattern {my own design}, but with smoother lines it would be prettier. The fabric is really soft and natural: 80% cotton, 20% viscose. Looks fancy and easy to iron! 

About the process

I designed the owl in a big paper sheet:

Then traced the image onto a tracing paper:

Cut the shapes I wanted to paint: 

 Started to paint the holes:

When I was done with the holes I cut around the owl shape.
This way it was easier to stay between the lines and easier to avoid paint drops.

I am quite satisfied with the result and I am pretty sure, that I will use the techique soon.

Sharing on my favourite linky parties:

Mop It Up Mondays @ I Should Mop the Floor  More the Merrier Monday @ DIY Home Sweet Home  Craft-O-Maniac Monday @ Craft-O-Maniac  Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative  Make Something Mondays @ Sarahndipities ♥ Topsy Turvy Tuesdays @ I am Topsy Turvy ♥ Share it Linky Party @ The Winthrop Chronicles  Hooking on Hump Day @ My Merry Messy Life ♥ Off The Hook @ Daisy Cottage Designs   Wow Us Wendesdays @ Savvy Southern Style  Somewhat Simple @ Somewhat Simply ♥ Friday Flair Linky Party @ Whipperberry  I love Fridays Linky Party @ Petals to Picots  ♥  Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest ♥ The Crochet Boulevard @ The Crochet Boulevard ♥  Link your stuff  @ Annemarie's Crochet Blog ♥  Nifty Thrifty Sundays @ Nifty Thrifty ♥ Think Pink Sundays @ Flamingo Toes ♥  Craft Schooling Sunday @Creative Jewish Mum  ♥ DIY Project Parade @ DIY Showoff  ♥ Colorful @ The Crochet Boulevard

4 comments:

  1. This cane out really cute! I love the design you created :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your owl is so good!!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! the best product in the world for this is called freezer paper, you do the same thing but iron it on to the fabric. only available in the USA, still looking for something similar elsewhere myself, namely slightly waxed paper that is only waxed on one side. thanks for sharing on craft schooling sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Comments are the salt and pepper for bloggers :)

I would like to visit back on your blog, so be sure that your blog adress is visible on your profile or just leave it in the comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top