BLOG // ABOUT // CROCHET // KNITTING // BABY / KIDS

4/17/13

First time using bamboo

I am working on a big knitting project now as I mentioned in my latest WIP post. It will be a cardigan - the first I have ever made! It is almost finished, now is under blocking. {If you would like to see some peek visit my project page.}
Somehow this Spring is the season of the first things for me. I few weeks ago I completed my first triangular shawl. I was dreaming of a classy lace shawl from a while, but was waiting for the right time to start it. Our 4-day trip in March seemed the right time to work on this project - of course four night wasn't enough to complete a shawl, but at least I kept my hands busy.

The pattern I chosed is a very popular free pattern on Ravelry - I decided to play safe and wanted a doable pattern. So I downloaded Holden Shawlette from Mindy Wilkins. Great, well written instructions, easy to follow, repetitive motifs, so it was a perfect choice for our travel.
About the yarn I can't talk in superlatives. I used Alize Bamboo Batik Design. Well, bamboo is not my favourite fiber. Although it is so soft, I just don't like slippery materials and bamboo doesn't have a good memory - it looks worn very easily. 
This picture has been taken after a few times wear, the edges are curling. The picot edging totally disappeared and I am sad about it - all of that blocking work for nothing...
Although I am not 100% satisfied with my first triangular shawl and with bamboo yarn, I am sure that I am not done with it, I will give to bamboo an other chance :)

6 comments:

  1. Your shawl and the design looks very pretty! I have never tried bamboo yarn but heard a lot about its softness. Now that you said even after blocking it doesn't give that good results, I have to think before working on it. Same is with pearl threads. I have anchor pearl crochet cotton which is meant for the edgings but they are too soft to hold the edging in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your shawl turned out! The colors are so pretty. Maybe you could try bamboo again with something less intricate and it might work better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. shabby chic look!!!! not bad with a pair of jeans and a simple white shirt!!!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried bamboo yarn, but I do think your shawl is gorgeous!!!! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks really lovely! :)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Comments are the salt and pepper for bloggers :)

I would like to visit back on your blog, so be sure that your blog adress is visible on your profile or just leave it in the comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top