A few month ago I found this eyelash yarn and was so excited, so I bought four balls, although didn't really know what to do with it. My first project was a mobile case to test the yarn. This yarn is so easy to work with. Unfortunately these sparkling balls aren't soft enough to knit a scarf or something wearable but effect yarns are so pretty for purses and bags.
I am in love with purses. In this year I have already knitted a bag with pompon yarn. So this one was my second project in purse making.
This is my design. No other designs, not even an inspirational one, this is just what I found out to do with this yarn. Of course it is very simple, so beginners can do it. Actually it is perfect for beginner knitters, there is nothing to ruin: you just must knit simple stitches.
- 1 and a 1/4 ball of eyelash yarn: I used some german yarn: Effektgarn Lucy. Colour: 51. Its length: 45 cm (49 yd)/ 50 gr / ball. Other brands have longer eyelash yarn balls. E.g. Red Heart Las Vegas is twice longer (90 cm) and very soft.
- knitting needle size 6
- black silk: 30 cm (cca. 12 inches)
- zips: 18 cm (cca. 7 inches)
- metal rings: 2 (I used key chains)
- chain: cca 1 m (cca. 39 inches)
- silk ribbon: 10 cm (cca. 4 inches)
Start with 50 stitches and join to together at the end. Knitted in the round with simple knit stitches.
Work until it measures 15 cm (6 inches).
Sew the inside of the purse. Cut two 20cm x 23 cm (8 inches x 9 inches) pieces from the silk fabric. Sew the zips in to it and sew the sides together.
I sewed the lining into the knitted bag with sewing machine. It is a little bit thick, but a normal machine can do that.
To fix the chains to the bag I used small key chain rings and silk ribbons. I sewed the rings with a small piece of ribbon to the sides of the purse.
It is a really simple pattern. Happy knitting!