5.21.2012

Crochet purse for the Summer


Yippie, I have made my very first summer purse! Okay, actually it is not a new project,  a couple weeks ago you could already see some WIP pictures of it, but on the past weeks I was obsessed with sewing. That's why I deferred publication.
So time to show you one of my favourite crochet object. It is finally something for myself!! After several baby hats and simple amirgurumis for my family, I made a bag for myself... just for fun... You probably know what does it mean: when your family and friends discover 'your talent',  you don't have time to create just for yourself.



You could have already seen these squares and here where I promised, that I would make a bag from it!  So I kept my promise. It wasn't easy to turn the granny into a bag (or bag-like) shape. After several tryings with flowers and different shapes I found the simple chain loops the easiest way to turn the square into a bag.
It is not a big purse, I am sure that I won't take it for shopping, but perfect for my supplies for a diner out or a walk with my husband.

How to turn a granny square into a bag

For the 16 petals-flower I used a pattern from Ravelry. It is an excellent photo-tutorial, so easy to follow. I am sharing just the pattern for the rest of the bag.

Measurements: 9.5' x 10' (without the hadles)

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
dc = double crochet stitch
hdc = half double crochet stitch
ss = slip stitch

You can use any granny square as a base. 
Instructions:

* Note: The granny square in the middle is not my pattern. Please, visit the designer to get it!*
{LINK}


Note: worked in continuous rounds!

R9:  Make 5 dc, 2 ch, 5 dc in the the larger spaces (to the corners), make 5 dc in the smaller spaces. 
R10:  Make 1 hdc in each dc's and ch1 on ea chains. Now your petal flower has a squared shape. 
R11: Start from a corner (where you made chain in the previous row). Chain 5 and ss in the 3rd hdc. Repeat this on the first side (You will get 9 loops - one loop=Ch-5). Ch 5 and ss in the 2nd hdc (= 12 loops). Repeat this along on this side. Ch 5 and  ss in the 3rd hdc (= 9 loops). Repeat on this side. Ch 5 and ss in the 2nd hdc (= 12 loops). Repeat.
R12: Ch5 and ss in the 3rd ch of the loop in the prev round. Repeat along.  
R13-17: same as the 12. row.
R18: Make 3 dc in each loop. In the corner loops make 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch.
R19: Hdc around.
 

Do the instructions on two grannies. Than sew along the sides or crochet together with slip stitches
For the handles I choosed wooden balls and rings, which I threaded into a crocheted rope from the leftover yarn. I sewed the lining from a matching blue fabric. 

Actually it wasn't the easiest crochet project, at least not that one on which I could work while I was watching TV. But I truly enjoyed creating it.

 I am wondering should I always wear matching shoes with my bag? Or at least during the Summer shall I be a little bit a 'lawbreaker'? Do you wear matching shoes and bags?

Happy crocheting and happy summertime!

38 comments:

  1. Cute bag. I love blue right now, I have a blue bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size is the crochet thread? Love the bag! Might work on that next.
    Amy @ Sew Incredibly CrAzY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! And I love the idea of making a purse with crochet blocks. I have several extras that were rejects from an afghan project and I'm excited to try adapting this idea. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that was going to be a beautiful bag, Hanni! Great job!
    And I'm with you - Summer means freedom. Mix your colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how adorable is this bag!!!! AMAZING!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way this turned out! Thanks for linking up with me at Off the Hook! http://daisycottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/off-hook-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bag! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. The color is fabulous. I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins-- http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-i-wore-sunday-week-16.html

    ~Natalie

    Holla! We're your newest followers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute and its actually something I can make!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love it! I crochet and blog about it, too, and found you on Yesterday on Today's link party. I just became your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great summer project. Thanks for sharing the pattern. And I definitely do not match my purse and shoes. :) Thanks for linking up to our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice little bag and the color is very summery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an amazing little bag. Love the colour and size.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You did a great job! I can't crochet to save my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party going on now and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/05/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's just adorable. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5/28/2012

    thanks for the pattern but im a little stumped at the 9th row, what do you mean when you say corner? the corner of the petal? anyways if you could clear this up for me that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5/29/2012

    YAY! i got it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great bag, Hanni! I love the combo with your red shoes. I think red and aqua blue is the best combo out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is the cutest purse! I love that you made something for yourself. I don't often make the time to make things for myself. But we all should once in a while. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesday.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to let you know you've been featured at Off the Hook! Thanks so much for linking up.

    http://daisycottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/off-hook-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it Hanni! And the color is my favorite! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely! You did such a nice job. :)
    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't wear matching shoes and bags, because I don't have shoes to match all my bags.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hanni, what a lovely purse! this made me wish I paid more attention to my dad when he was teaching me to crocher and knit. ^^)

    We will be featuring this today, by the way ^^)

    have a fab weekend!

    hugs,
    Lelanie

    to-sew-with-love.com
    tocookwithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Hanni! I'm starting a new link party just for crochet, knit, sewing, etc and would LOVE for you to link up to my new party!!
    http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/06/new-link-party-hookin-on-hump-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Hanni! I would LOVE if you would link this up to my new link party for crochet, knit, sewing, etc.!!
    http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/06/new-link-party-hookin-on-hump-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous!!
    You should make an exception and sometimes not match shoes and bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this purse and am going to add it to my "to do" list.

    I've also added it to the directory at www.crochetatplay.com
    we have over 23,000 free patterns available, if you have any others you would like to add to our site feel free to submit them here: http://crochetatplay.com/Submit.html

    I hope this link brings you lots of traffic

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was wondering where u got the wooden rings at? Hobby lobby has the wooden balls but not the rings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't find in the craft store near to you, try to find an Etsy shop who ship it enough quickly for you :)
      https://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?q=wooden+ring&view_type=gallery&ship_to=HU

      Delete
  33. Hi,

    Lovely bag. I have featured it in my new blog. Please have a look.
    http://ajournalofinspiration.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  34. i have a question about round 10. Can you please explain exactly where im going to hdc and or ch 1 ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the 1 hdc on each dc and ch1 in each chain. So starting from a corner: *make hdc1 in 5 dc's, ch2, hdc1 in next 5dc's. Hdc1 in next 15 dc's.* Repeat it 4 times.
      I enlarged the 3rd picture to make the stitches more visible. If you have problems, contact me in email and I am sending you a better picture from this part of the bag.
      Wish you happy crocheting :)

      Delete
    2. Very lovely bag & the color is perfect for summer! Thanks for sharing :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Comments are the salt and pepper for bloggers :)

I would like to visit back on your blog, so be sure that your blog adress is visible on your profile or just leave it in the comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...